5to. Bachillerato, American Literature


Welcome to American Literature with Mr. Michael Benedict and Torene David.....We will be reading the following books this year:

Uncle Tom's Cabin or The Glory Field

To Kill a Mockingbird

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

and

The Five People You Meet in Heaven




Some of our objectives this year are to:


Improve your speaking skills in English

Improve your writing skills in English

Develop your critical thinking skills


Teach you to enjoy reading for pleasure

and

Help you plan your future in college and beyond.....



Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Welcome Class of 2017!!!

January 2017

Dear Students,

Welcome to the beginning of your last year in high school.  As I am writing this letter to all of you, I am thinking about just how much I am looking forward to having you all in American Literature this year.  I’ve met many of you before, and you have impressed me with your enthusiasm to learn and grow and your understanding of just how important it is to be bilingual in today’s very competitive world. 
I’m not sure what or how much you really know about me, so I will begin by introducing myself to you.  I got married and moved to Guatemala thirty-one years ago.  My initial reaction to this country was a combination of fear and bewilderment; however, I have come to love Guatemala and care about its future very deeply.  I live up in the mountains overlooking the city with a view that is “to die for”!  I have two grown children: Anthony, who is in the Maryland National Guard and studying in a community college, and Chelsea, who has doctorate in physical therapy and works at Johns Hopkins hospital and the University of Maryland medical school.  I also have two dogs, which simultaneously make me happy and crazy with their antics.  I vacillate between wanting to hug them or kill them. 
As you have probably heard, I am a very strict and demanding teacher.  Make no mistake that I take my job very seriously…and I believe my job is to prepare you for college and beyond.  With this in mind, I would like you to know that I expect you to give 100% in this class.  Whether your goal is to study abroad or go to a local university, you will need a good grade on the SAT, ELASH, or TOEFL exams. If you work diligently and perseveringly all year in this class, you will meet that goal.  Since all of the work we will be doing to improve your language and critical thinking skills is based on what we will be reading, it is essential that you keep up with all of the reading assignments; you cannot analyze or write an essay on a book you haven’t read.  What I as a teacher value the most is your effort, not necessarily your ability.  I expect you to hand in your work on time, strive for accuracy, speak only English in class, participate in class discussions, and keep up with the reading assignments.  I strongly believe that you are ultimately responsible for your own learning, so many of the class activities will require you to be active participants rather than just passive receivers of information.  Think twice before you miss a class and remember that you are responsible for what goes on in class whether or not you are there. 
I will be happy to provide you with all the extra help you may need…just ask…and I maintain a class blog where you can find all of the class worksheets, rubrics, assignments, calendars, vocabulary Power points, and anything else you may need while working at home.  There are audio versions of many of the books we will read this year, and these will help you enormously with your reading comprehension. There is no such thing as a “stupid question” in class…all questions and mistakes provide opportunities to learn, so don’t be shy!
Now, please take the time to tell me a little about yourselves, your interests, and your goals for this year and beyond, especially if you will need to prepare for college entrance exams. 

With warm regards,


Torene 

1 comment: